Monday, February 13, 2006

Ten Thousand Spoons

Our generation, because many of us are stupid, derive their definition of irony from Alanis Morissette's song, "Isn't It Ironic?" To them, irony is having ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, or finding a black fly in your Chardonnay. Of course, none of that is ironic, since irony means "a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used," or, saying the opposite of what you mean.

However, in the spirit of humoring my Canadian sister, were I to define ironic like Alanis does, I'm going to have to say that it's "ironic" that while I was away snowboarding in dry-as-a-bone Vermont this weekend -- where not even an INCH of snow fell -- New York City received a record snowfall of 27 inches. I don't even think Killington has a 27-inch base, let alone 27 inches (or 27 milimeters) of powder.

That said, we had beautiful sun, a fireplace, good food and friends and miraculously no traffic on the way home. More importantly, we had enough beer to inebriate an entire fleet of pirate ships. So I'm not complaining. And, the boarding wasn't even that bad, all told. Though I smacked my noggin good when someone sideswiped me and now I feel like I have whiplash. But, that just makes me a badass. Or a bad boarder. Or something.

I am bummed I missed seeing Shaun White grab the Olympic gold in the half pipe in Turin. I wonder if they're going to rerun the whole segment at any time. Anyone know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home