Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Mallification of Carroll Gardens

I am disappointed to see that they're turning a nice neighborhood sit-down pizza joint on Court Street around the corner from my apartment (in Carroll Gardens) into a damn Dunkin' Donuts. New York magazine says DD is going to have up to 1,300 stores in the New York metro area by next summer, which is truly alarming.

There's already a coffee shop on this street and I'd hate to see them lose business to any newcomer idiots who might prefer DD coffee, though I'm sure Carroll Gardens old guard will boycott it. Also, their donuts suck. Had it been a Krispy Kreme, I'd have been tempted. So I guess it's good for me that it wasn't a Krispy Kreme.

ANYWAY, it's funny to me that Dunkin Donuts is going to have over a thousand stores in a city where, as the NYTimes recently wrote, more than 800,000 people -- or one in every eight New Yorkers -- has DIABETES.

I have an idea. Maybe abortion-clinic bombers can shift their focus to Dunkin' Donuts.

They'd probably save more lives.

Sorry. That was a bit insensitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home