Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ask and You Shall (Actually) Receive (Something Totally Awesome)

So awhile back I asked readers to weigh in on what type of adventure I should undertake in an effort to liven up this blog. People had some good ideas -- hike the Appalachian Trail, date more pesky Jews, etc. One of the options I put out there for people to comment on was a trip to Germany to visit my brother, who moved there all of a week ago and will be living there until 2009.

To my utter astonishment, not only did people weigh in, but I also got a "belated birthday present" by email from a committed reader and a dear friend who -- and no, I'm not shitting you -- bought me a gift certificate good for one airline flight to Germany. (!!)

I'm not really used to surprises like this. Normally if (and that's a big IF) I receive a birthday present from someone it's more along the lines of scented lotion or some slightly droopy daisies from the bodega. I was a bit flabbergasted, but this makes my decision on "how to shake things up" easy.

I'm going to Germany. I'll probably give my brother this winter to settle in and will go in the spring once it's warm enough to do some rock climbing. Of course, there's always the possibility of snowboarding in the Alps, too. We shall see.

I haven't had a European adventure in a few years, so I'm extremely excited about this, as well as totally honored and grateful to my far too generous friend. He probably just wants to get me out of his hair so he can find new people to have dinner with in New York, but even if that's the case, I can't thank him enough.

The only problem of course is that there are several long, fallow months stretching out ahead of a trip to Germany, which probably can't happen until next year for various reasons.

At the risk of pushing my luck, if anyone else is feeling generous and would like to liven up my life through charitable donations (say, of a car -- even a clunker will do) or maybe loaning me your hot cousin for a date, shoot me an email! :)

Whee!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Any chance of a side trip to Zurich?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Hey, I've got something in my front pocket for you. Why don't you reach into my pocket and see what it is. Then grab on to it, its just for you. Give it a little squeeze and say "how do you do?"

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home