Thursday, April 20, 2006

Let Us Praise Lettuce

Sometimes I find the Union Square farmer's market overwhelming. I never know where to start, so I don't purchase anything and get the hell out of there before my claustrophobia kicks in and I start wanting to knock over baby strollers.

But last week, a little bag of lettuce caught my eye at a produce stand near the northwest corner of the market. "27 varieties of lettuce" it said. I was craving a healthy salad so I snapped up one of the unassuming, $4 plastic bag full of greens and carted it home. I also bought a $4 jar of goat cheese crumbles from a goat cheese farmer who complimented my unwashed hair.

A word of advice: GET THEE TO THE PRODUCE PURVEYOR AT THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE PARK. BUY THE 27-VARIETY LETTUCE.

I dressed my 27 kinds of greens with a little olive oil and balsamic that I mixed myself, and sprinkled it with a few tablespoons of the crumbled goat cheese (which tasted more like a pungent, dry blue cheese and was explosive and amazing). Get some of that, too -- the dude is also generous with his samples (especially if he likes your hair).

Anyway, this was seriously the best salad I have ever had, anywhere, at any fancy restaurant, or even out of my momma's garden (in fairness, she doesn't grow lettuce...her tomatoes are another story, though, as I have not yet found a New York heirloom variety that even comes close to one freshly plucked and still warm from her garden). When I was done with the salad, I immediately made another bowl. I had two friends at my house at the time who had already had dinner, but it smelled so good that even they were begging for tastes.

You can make about four generous portions of salad out of a $4 bag. Keep the dressing and toppings simple and let the complex flavors of the different varieties of greens come through. You won't regret it.

OK, I don't know why I've been posting about food all the time. Guess it's the, uh, bounty of spring or whatever.

I promise that shortly I'll return to posting about unsatisfying sexual encounters or having a dirty limerick contest, or something. I know you probably don't want to read about lettuce. But seriously -- this lettuce was awesome.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the dude is also generous with his samples (especially if he likes your hair)."

Well, I'm out. Shucks. But then I'm scared of green things anyway.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home